During the period between the ancient Greece and the Middle Age, many merchants were passing by the coasts of Vieste seeking for any kind of resources. Amongst them there were the sailors coming from Oiniadea, a city erected on the delta of a river located on the north west of Creta Island, which was flooded by the expansion of the water stream. After this misfortune, some of them left their unliveable land and began to sail the mediterranean seas as merchants. One of the many coasts reached by them was Vieste, that become a favourable place to which draw spiny dye-murex or so called “caparroni” that were filling up the beaches of the town. The shells of these sea snails were indeed used by them to produce purple that was adopted to stain the garments of kings and cardinals.
Apart from the numerous shells recently found under-net the Town-hall of Vieste, another evidence of the passage of these sailors were the epigraphical writing in latin and greek language found inside a cave on the Saint Eugenia Island, where was subsequently built the lighthouse. In the same cavity, draws dedicated to the Venus of Sosandra, protector of the sea and the sailors, were also found. Amongst these draws is still an insertion, which is nowadays clearly visible, dated to the 3rd settember 1002.
The small natural cave is located on the left side of the island and it can be seen from the balcony of this room.